PUMPED UP KICKS

PUMPED UP KICKS

Doing good is something most companies claim to strive for, but a lot of them don’t actually achieve this. It’s something that Millennials call greenwashing, which loosely translates to making misleading claims about the environmental benefits of your product/ service, or company practice. Companies apply this green layer in order to seem more environmentally friendly than they actually are, because sustainability sells nowadays.

VEJA is a little bit different in that sense, and by a little we mean a lot. This sneaker company was launched because the owners saw how the world of fashion operates on the production side. They travelled to China to see the living conditions of factory workers for themselves and decided it was time for change, one pair of sneakers at a time. What better way to do it than launch their own kick-ass and fair-trade sneaker brand. Here’s how they did it.

The sneaker as a product relies heavily on marketing and advertising, 70% of total production costs to be exact. This only leaves 30% for everything else, including the fees of factory workers. The makers of VEJA wanted to see what would happen if they took away all marketing costs and invest this sum into creating a sustainable and fair trade production process, making them 5 times more expensive to produce. The result? Retail prices stayed exactly the same, yet the production costs actually went to those getting their hands dirty in the factories. 

Aside from being fair trade, the shoes are also made from organic, biodegradable and plant based materials, making the shoes perfectly wearable for vegans and environmental activists alike. The brand ticks all of the boxes when it comes to our Holistically Happy trend, as the brand helps you create positive impact both for yourself and the factory workers. And at the end of the day, you have these awesome kicks to show for it.

They’ve been on their sustainable mission (just like this shoe brand) for well over a decade and we can’t wait to see what they come up next. Our first pair should arrive any day now!

veja_ss19_vincent_espai_verd16-1-tt-width-756-height-473-fill-0-crop-1-bgcolor-ffffff-except_gif-1.jpg
THE GUMMY BEAR AFFAIR

THE GUMMY BEAR AFFAIR

ESCAPING THE MADNESS

ESCAPING THE MADNESS

0